ST. MICHAEL & ALL ANGELS, LITTLE BADMINTON
The Church of St. Michael and All Angels in Little Badminton is a small church with nave and north aisle of almost equal size, divided by an Early English arcade of four bays with pointed arches and octagonal piers, the west pier and respond only having capitals.
The 14th century East window has three lights with trefoiled heads.
In the South wall there is an attractive ogee-shaped rere-arch which externally has a hood-mou1d. The next two windows on the S are similar; having two lights, with rere-arches, with cinquefoil heads, but the westernmost window is much plainer. It has been suggested that this is an example of impoverished work resulting from the building having been stopped by the Black Death in 1348. However, we recently rediscovered that the church and its altar were consecrated by Walter Maidstone, Bishop of Worcester on 22nd July 1315, during his five month-long pilgrimage to consecrate all churches and chapels in his diocese that were known not to be consecrated. This means that the original part of the church must have been built before 1315 and so the window is very unlikely to have been built as late as 1348.
Sunday Services - 1662 Book of Common Prayer
Badminton is a traditional parish and, consequently, we exclusively use the 1662 Book of Common Prayer and the King James Version for all of our Sunday services. Our parish is a corporate memebr of The Prayer Book Society.
On 22nd July 2015 we celebrated the 700th anniversary of the consecration with a special service, which followed the 1662 Book of Common Prayer mattins service and was immediately followed by the shortened version of Holy Communion. A pamphlet explaining the reasons for Bishop Maidstone's pilgrimage can be found here.
Items of Interest in the Church
Trefoil-headed PISCINA in the North aisle (to right of organ), and another with a restored head by the altar.
BAPTISMAL FONT. Perpendicular period. Octagonal bowl with quatrefoils in the panels.
PLATE. Chalice and Paten Cover, 1715 by Simon Pantin.
The church lies on the North side of a village green on which stands a round DOVECOTE and several picturesque farms and cottages, some with thatched roofs.
Glossary of terms: rere-arch (supporting the inner wall of the first window) respond is a half-pier or half-pillar trefoiled (from Latin trifolium, "three-leaved plant").
Access to St. Michael and All Angels, Little Badminton
To arrange a visit to Little Badminton, please contact us (in advance of your visit) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01454 218648. Viewing appointments are available between 09:30am and 5:30pm by prior appointment.